The Dixie region can be divided into numerous sub regions. I chose two regions I have experience living and traveling in. The first, in the blue border, is the Gulf Coast. Vacationers from all over the world, though particularly those from the Northern United States, visit the beaches of the Gulf Coast every summer. The region can be viewed as functional region, as it is experienced as place for leisure by Northerners and Southerners alike. It therefore functions as a place for escaping the heat and enjoying fresh seafood like Murder Point Oysters in Gulf Shores, Alabama.
Another region, which can be viewed as a vernacular region, is the Mississippi Delta. Buy searching for the birthplace of several famous Blues musicians, I found that many of them were born in the fertile valleys on either side of the Mississippi River. It is surprising to find that Arkansas was the home of many blues musicians, as you can see in the green dividing area. We could say this is a vernacular region because3 blues did not only come from the Delta, though it is recognized by musicians and fans as having a significant place attachment to the Mississippi. My data was found by looking up trail markers for the Delta Blues Trail, which I traveled on in 2015 and 2016. I also pulled up a map of the Blues Trail published by Visit Mississippi.
Comments
Post a Comment